Monday, October 29, 2012

the state of perfection

I was chastised by an artist this week when I told her I left art school because I was worried about the prospects of being able to financially support myself with a job doing art. She then proceeded to name numerous jobs in which the key training is art. She herself is an oil painter by profession (Nicola Wheston) and an extremely encouraging and insightful person to converse with. It made me think just how nasty insecurity is and how it can really harm you if you let it have control. Also just how dramatically important it is to have people who support you in your life.  Everyone once in a while you meet those people who kind of smile and nod their head when you tell them you're "an aspiring artist" like they're indulging a child with unobtainable fantasy. It is a very romanticized idea being an "Artist", especially in todays youth culture where half my generation is proclaiming to be an artist of some kind. I'm not trying to hate on or discourage people from pursuing their artistic development, but sometimes I feel the titles Art and Artist are abused.



This is a video I recorded in the beginning of the year, because I like making speed videos of my drawings. I hope you enjoy... I have no idea what i did with this drawing. I'll have to search around for it sometime. (state of perfection is the title of the piece.. not a fact about the drawing itself, hahah. I hope that's understandable.)

I was a vendor at my first market last week, and keeping in mind my total lack of experience in this realm of anesthetically pleasing displays, it was quite the success and a really fun time! I had the opportunity to talk with other artists and crafty people there! A big thanks to Rachel & Jasmine for inviting me out to Victoria for the day!

1 comment:

  1. Sofia you are so beautiful & talented! Love seeing you use the gifts God's given you :)

    - Megan-Jane

    ReplyDelete