Thursday, November 29, 2012

Female Figure

Recently I had a small little.. discovery. It turns out I'm really not that far off from living up to my stereotype. I sat down in the driver's seat of my car and looked around.. it's a mess. There is wax stuck to my dash, coins, crumpled recipts, towels, shoes, bags, blankets, canned tuna, cords, dog treats, and plain old dirt. Dirty dirty dirt. Dirt: soil, sand, dead leaves, pine needles, pebbles, boogers (you weren't looking so I went for it). I sat down at my desk in my room and looked around.. it's a mess. Pens & pencils every where, over flowing garbage cans, dirty laundry, clean laundry, not dirty quite yet laundry, this little knick knack I didn't want to throw away, camera equipment, paint palettes, those thingys I decided I'd start collecting but don't collect anymore.. and I must sensor the rest. Holy cow... I'm a slob. I cannot keep a space clean, it's a difficult reality to accept. I can be exceptionally moody. My family can vouch for this or anyone whose had the pleasure of spending hours and hours of time with me. I can go on about vague airy ideas involving colours, "Those paintbrush strokes pour depth into my soul" and boring trite things become monumentally fascinating.

Typically artists are stereotyped as moody, messy, and sometimes a little eccentric. Kind of  like how accountants are stereotyped as nerdy and socially inept or actors as egotistical and extraverted. We laugh at the preconceived ideas and prod people with them in jest but never seriously believing that they have any weight of truth behind them. In fact when they are exercised as being facts, its on the verge of becoming one of the 'ists' (sexist, racist, etc) and people get offended by your lack of education.. because that's what people say now-a-days if you don't agree with their views. Now of course I'd never compare labelling oppression with the history of racism or sexism, but it does exist on it's own as a low sub category of discrimination in society. Those dirty hippies. So a long time ago when someone said to me after learning I was an artist "Oh, you must hate sports then." I naturally had to ask them to repeat themselves because I didn't understand the relevance of it at all. My pride puffed up and I immediately became agitated... until now. When I realized thinking about it.. I don't really like sports. I don't watch them and I don't play them. Other than volley ball and nice hiking I don't involve myself in any other kind..... oops.

Anyway, I guess secretly I'm a little stoked to fit so well into my role... and that maybe magically this will make me a better Artist. I shall now go do something unlogical and crazy.

 

This is just a drawing from my little 3.5 x 5.5 moleskin that I drew for exercise. Soon hopefully I'll be doing some real figure drawing classes again. Yay! Gonna get fit.. artistically.

No comments:

Post a Comment