Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Distortion

I decided to give acrylic paint a go instead of painting with oils which I have always done. There are some perks to working with acrylic paint that I like. A; it's cheaper. B; it isn't toxic. My studio isn't properly vented and is also attached to my bedroom where I sleep, so painting with oils in there isn't such a good idea. The draw back to acrylic though for me is that it isn't as malleable as oil.. you need a retarder or some other kind of added medium to make it easier to work with. Its really very different than oil, and this whole painting was really just a chance for me to learn how to work with it.. and near the end I started to figure out more and more things out about it. I still prefer oil, but maybe if i keep practicing I'll eventually like both.
Something I often do to help me plan for the colour scheme in a painting is experiment in some kind of paint program on the computer. That way I can see if colours are going to go well together and how they compliment the composition as a whole. I went real colour happy on this one from what I normally produce, and I'm not super keen on the end result but it's okay. I learned something... and I just watched fantasia. C'mon.

No comments:

Post a Comment