Monday, January 23, 2012

Angel

I'm trying to work on drawing cloth this week... it's my number one weak point. There doesn't seem to be a pattern to cloth that I've figured out, I remember someone telling me that there is like a whole set of laws when it comes to drawing drapery, and people have dedicated entire studies on it. screw it, it's hard...
Photobucket
I've been totally intoxicated this week looking at classical paintings, especially those from the pre-raphaelites. Most people either love or hate this genre of historical art.. it's very controlled and realistic, but I love fairytale's, fantasy, sci-fi, mythology and this imagery just feeds my imagination because history becomes instantly so real in the most insane way possible... and I always look at history as if it's just a story, and not actually grasping that, hey, these people and places were once actually physically here. You could touch them, and that's what I always want to do when I see a painting. The FIRST thing is I want to touch it.. nevermind all the signs commanding "Do Not Touch", and I'm always surprised to find it's just a canvas... such a crushing reality. Anyway I hope you can enjoy the small palette I added too.

Photobucket

On the top left is a piece called Campaspe by John William Godward, bottom right is Flaming June by Lord Frederick Leighton, and the bottom left is the Knight of the Holy Grail by Frederick J. Waugh. The top left painting is actually the cover art of a Bach album of violin concertos directed by Andrew Manze and I have been unable to find out who it's by, so if anyone knows I myself would be so stoked to find out.

2 comments:

  1. yay!
    ugh...cloth!
    I love "Flaming June"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fun, once again!!
    I love reading about your process.
    anita

    ReplyDelete