Tuesday, February 7, 2012

doodle creatures

I've decided to go with quantity over quality today.
I feel like I'm cheating but then I remember hey, it's my project... I can make up whatever rules I want. and life is good again.
Photobucket
These are usually what I draw when I'm bored. you can find many of them in between my notes and on the back of random pamphlets or whatever paper I can get my hands on in a desperate hour of boredom. I usually try and not draw on things though when I'm listening to something/someone, because even though I say "I'm still listening" that's just not the case. I zone out when I draw, like actually. My mind does the weirdest things because you're focusing really hard, but... with a totally different part of your brain and the other part just doesn't know what to do with itself.
I think doodling is a really healthy exercise for an artist though, because the skill of drawing the likeness of something tangible has nothing nothing to do with creativity. It's just a math, I seriously believe this. But doodling you have to create something totally new, based purely on the extent of what your mind can conjure up from your memories, the world around you... I don't even know how the human mind can be so inventive.. i can't. can't fathom.

keep doodling.

3 comments:

  1. Doodling is totally therapy. :) I agree about the replicating being like math... that's what I tell people when their like 'oh I could never draw a face'... because they can. (Maybe it won't be easy for them but if they map it all out they can) ooohh... baby is crying. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear life is normal again...Something I admire about your creations/art is that you always manage to depict a real mood or feeling. That is rare, I think! Even your "doodles" (such a demeaning name, really!) have a certain intensity about them. So great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yeah, exactly! and just like when you see a mathematician doing an impossibly difficult problem it's actually just logic that anyone could learn.. people would just rather blame is on the world rather than their laziness. haha.

    Really? wow I'm so flattered! Elli, you are so encouraging, I always smile when I read your comments.

    ReplyDelete